HermeneuticLand 101

Herein lies a place not only to discover, but also to interpret that wonderful gift -- that challenging experience -- that crazy world-- called LIFE.

Name:
Location: California, United States

For those whose curiosity brims, I am a RN turned Methodist pastor. I enjoy lots of things, am troubled by several things, and hope for many things. But, if you keep reading, I suppose you will find that out anyway.

This Steel Magnolias Webring
site owned by
Hermeneuticland 101.
[ Previous 5 Sites| Previous | Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | Join | List Sites ]

Friday, May 19, 2006

Friday Five: Wordplay

"Please tell us five words you had to think about really hard before saying them out loud for the first time, or that you discovered you had misapprehended when someone corrected your pronunciation."

Hors d'oeuvres -- I had an aunt that always pronounced this exactly as it looks. Therefore, I became accustomed to hearing this word as "hores dee overs" and therefore also shared it with others. Very embarrassing.

Laissez faire -- I love this word, but had trouble deciding not how to pronounce it, but when to use it! I first started using it for every type of action, LF--this and LF--that, I'm feeling LF about everything today.... but soon discovered that was overkill.

Brassiere -- this word is one that has a funny story with it. When I was in first or second grade, I was shopping in the mall with my mother, and misread a sign for my mother's favorite store, "The World Bazaar" Instead of reading "Bazaar", I read "Brassiere". I guess she laughed off and on for a week or two about that one. Wasn't funny to me at the time, but now...I think it was pretty funny after all.

Supercalifragilisticexpealidocious (spelling?) -- this word was also a pretty big deal to be able to both say and sing in elementary school. I was pretty big on Mary Poppins, and it was fun to be able to sing the song.

La Jolla -- again, when I first moved to California, I pronounced this La Jolla just like it is written. It is pronounced "La Hoya". It took me the better part of two years to match the word on paper with the word everyone was saying. Oh well, at least I wasn't living there when I was making that mistake.

Those are my five... y'all think I have a little trouble with foreign language, or what? *laughing* I don't even speak English all THAT well sometimes.... Haha.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home