HermeneuticLand 101

Herein lies a place not only to discover, but also to interpret that wonderful gift -- that challenging experience -- that crazy world-- called LIFE.

Name:
Location: California, United States

For those whose curiosity brims, I am a RN turned Methodist pastor. I enjoy lots of things, am troubled by several things, and hope for many things. But, if you keep reading, I suppose you will find that out anyway.

This Steel Magnolias Webring
site owned by
Hermeneuticland 101.
[ Previous 5 Sites| Previous | Next | Next 5 Sites | Random Site | Join | List Sites ]

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Angels Among Us

Today I had a very interesting encounter which truly blessed my life. The past two days I have noticed a lady outside my church on the bench underneath our little tree. Yesterday, she left before I got a chance to speak to her. Today, I went up and introduced myself to her (not as the pastor, but just with my first name), met her, and began to listen to her talk about her time spent on the bench. She didn't know me from Adam, but she wanted me to feel welcome there too.

She began by explaining to me that she really liked the sign in front of the church. It told her "Come and Rest. Go in peace." (Mind you, this is the same sign that I have been wanting folk to change because if you drive by it too fast, all I can see is "Come and Rest In Peace.") From her perspective, however, I was given new eyes to see things from a different angle. She didn't have a home, but she had made that bench her temporary abode. She showed me the sign and explained how welcoming it was to come and rest there...with God...in front of the church. She liked looking at the nice green grass and the lovely bench. She also showed me how nice it was that our church had tables outside to sit at and a nice lounge inside (our parlor) for people to find comfort. She said it was a very peaceful place, and she really liked it there.

She also pointed out my parsonage, and informed me -- That's the minister's house. You can tell because the parking lot is on the other side of it. He and his family live there, and he has peace too because he doesn't have to walk very far. She asked me where I went to church. I pointed to the church. "I go over there," I said. She asked me where I lived. I pointed to the parsonage. "Right there" I replied. She said, "Oh, are you the minister's daughter?" "No, ma'am" I responded endearingly. She then went on to tell me the minister must be a very nice man, and that it was nice I went to that church. I didn't have the heart to tell her who I was after so eloquent a welcome. Instead, I offered the only things I had available at the time, a listening ear...and an invitation to church. If she shows up Sunday, I guess we'll both have a laugh.

In any case, this is my smile-story for the day. Hope you've enjoyed reading and sharing it with me. It's amazing to me how the most welcoming and evangelistic person at my church this week was a transient lady who had made our front bench her home. Is there a message there for us? I think so!

5 Comments:

Blogger see-through faith said...

loved this :) Had to laugh at the "come and rest in peace" though. That'll blog.

Thanks for stopping by site. I moved your comment btw (grin - it's happened many times!)

I loved too how this lady thought you were the minister's daughter. It IS irritating when some assume that you are the vicar's wife - but somehow that comment endeared me to her. Hope she does show up one Sunday and see you in the pulpit though. She sounds very special and I'm glad your bench and your sign bring God to her.

10:18 PM  
Blogger LutheranChik said...

For some reason this story reminded me of a pastor I know who, while greeting worshippers after the service one day, was confronted by a little boy who wanted to know, "Are you God's wife?" To which she replied, "No -- God's just my good friend."

7:35 AM  
Blogger Hermeneuticland said...

LOL - Lutheran chick-- Haven't been asked that one yet!

Thank you for the comments, and I will let y'all know if she does come to church this Sunday!

Blessings to all.

10:50 AM  
Blogger hipastorzwife2B said...

We had a guest preacher (male) last fall and our female pastor did the children's sermon. A new woman behind me asked who she was and I whispered "she's the pastor". She came back with "the master of what? the children? Thats an odd title." I didn't get a chance to head her off before fellowship time, when I heard her ask our pastor about her title. Oh well.

8:34 AM  
Blogger net said...

Welcome back! I missed you!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home